Where are junkyards permitted? Do they have to be screened?

Junkyards are permitted uses only in the General Use (GU-1), Light Industrial (LI), and Heavy Industrial (HI) zoning districts and only when they fully comply with the requirements listed under FNSBC 18.96.130. Section B requires junkyards to be "completely enclosed and obscured from the public view at all times by a sight-obscuring screen."

"Sight-obscuring screen" means a year-round shield of sufficient height and volume to block from sight one abutting or nearby structure or use from another. This may include, but is not limited to, densely planted vegetation, decorative fencing or earthen berms, or a combination thereof  (FNSBC 18.04.010.B).

Show All Answers

1. How can I view a code enforcement case file?
2. How do I file a complaint?
3. How does the FNSB handle reported code violations?
4. If I think that a property owner is violating FNSB code, what should I do?
5. My neighbor keeps trespassing onto my property. What can I do?
6. My neighbor's stuff or vegetation is crossing our shared property line. What can I do?
7. How do I call for an immediate fire or life/safety emergency?
8. My neighbor's pickup is parked on the road. Is that encroachment?
9. What can I do about an abandoned vehicle at the end of my cul-de-sac?
10. What can I do about someone who has blocked off or is parking vehicles in a road right-of-way, trail easement, or private easement?
11. What qualifies as a junkyard?
12. When is a junkyard required to have an approved drainage plan?
13. Where are junkyards permitted? Do they have to be screened?
14. My neighbor has 10 dogs on 1 lot. Is that considered a kennel?
15. Where can I open a new dog (or cat) kennel?
16. Can I raise chickens, ducks, geese, bees, goats, etc. on my property?
17. Do I need a building permit before starting construction?
18. When is a zoning permit required?