Road service area commissioners are responsible for the day-to-day maintenance operations within the service area boundaries. Fairbanks North Star Borough has a total of 426 commission seats for road/sewer/street light service areas. Here are examples of some of their duties:
- Commissioners are the first line of communication for residents in the service area.
- Commissioners call the contractor for routine maintenance items.
- During the first and third quarters of the calendar year, commissioners are required to have a meeting that is open to the public. Meeting notices can be found in the Borough news section of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Commissioners take the responsibility to report damaged or missing signs, and encroachments when they see people are working without permits in place.
- Commissioners prepare an annual budget to submit for the next fiscal year.
- Commissioners assess roads annually, identify problem areas, and decide on the priority of work items, based on the budget.
- Each commission submits a long and short-term plan on an annual basis during the budget process.